Which is the best ergonomic chair singapore has?
Worth Buying: Our recommended Top 3 Ergonomic Chairs In Singapore Below S$500
Looking for the best ergonomic chair Singapore has to offer?
Gone are the days when chairs are bought to fit aesthetics or reflect the ranking of certain employees. Today, thanks to modern science, good organizations are realizing the importance of ergonomics and are actively employing them in their offices to promote the importance of health at work.
What are your choices? Which is the best ergonomic chair Singapore has on the market? We at SG Top Choice, will keep it simple and answer your most burning questions about ergonomic chairs Singapore.
What Is Ergonomics?
Have you ever had back pains after a long day at work? Or experienced wrist pains after using the keyboard and mouse? That’s poor ergonomics!
Ergonomics is the study of designing products and spaces to fit the users in a way that minimizes injury or harm while maintaining comfort and efficiency. They can be found all around us, from cars to tools to furniture. Ergonomic products may not be designed conventionally, but after long periods of usage, they will not cause health issues like standard brands. Furthermore, you might find that ergonomic products are much easier to use once you’ve gotten used to them. In this article, we explore the best ergonomic chair Singapore has.
What Are The Benefits Of An Ergonomic Chair Singapore?
So is the ergonomic chair really worth the hype? Well, we at SG Top Choice are happy to inform you that it is! There is science backing us up here, so listen up. Regardless of your body type, shape, or preferred sitting height, an ergonomic chair will do wonders.
- Improve posture – An ergonomic chair supports your spine’s natural curves, prevents slouching, and protects against back pains by allowing users to lie on a backrest while maintaining proper posture throughout the day.
- Provide back support/lumbar support – Ergonomic chairs have curved seat pans and protruding backrests to support our natural back shape. This way, our spine faces less pressure from our body weight.
- Relieve pain and fatigue – Ergonomic chairs have flexible parts that can be customized according to the user’s needs. Thus, alleviating pressure from our bones and muscles, and relieving pain.
- Increase Blood Circulation – Ergonomic chairs ensure that users are seated with good posture so our blood vessels and organs will not be compressed. This way, oxygen will be delivered freely through our blood vessels without issues.
- Enhance concentration and productivity – A good ergonomic chair also feels really good to sit in. Comfort is has a major impact on purchasing decisions and one’s happiness and productivity. Ergonomic chairs also lead to good posture, which leads to good blood circulation. This allows blood to carry oxygen to your brain effectively – improving attention span and productivity.
- Extremely durable – An ergonomic chair will last you for a long time. It is made out of durable materials that will not rot, peel, or make loud creaking sounds. It is also child-proof, so it’s a family-friendly piece of furniture.
- Easy to maintain – Ergonomic chairs are extremely easy to maintain. Just take a wet rag and wipe it down. It’s that simple.
- Highly customizable – Ergonomic chairs come in many parts – each part is then able to be moved according to the preferences of the user.
Variety is the spice of life, and it’s also what makes ergonomic chairs so popular. Whether you are working from home, in an office, or just at the desk all day, why not treat yourself to one of these ergonomic chairs?
What Are The Consequences Of Poor Ergonomics
Despite their stylish appearance and luxurious feel, regular office chairs, gaming chairs, and executive chairs can be really bad for you. These chairs tend to be inflexible with height settings, which means users are likely to develop poor sitting habits that can lead to chronic back pain and worse.
The complications of poor posture include:
- Back pain – poor posture leads to a strain on your spine and back muscles because slouching puts pressure on your shoulder blades. If you notice back pains after sitting for a while, you should correct your posture ASAP.
- Neck pain – poor posture often causes our heads to lean forward so that it is not resting on top of our necks. Holding this unnatural posture for too long causes neck pain.
- Headaches/migraines – poor posture causes tension in the muscles of your upper back, neck, and shoulders. This in turn leads to headaches and even increases the frequency of migraines.
- Crooked spine – poor posture causes your spine to lose its natural curves. This is because poor posture puts unnecessary pressure on your spine. A bent spine, in turn, affects our ability to stand, sit, and function normally in day-to-day activities. So this is really dangerous.
- Digestion issues – poor posture like slouching that causes your spine and ribcage to compress, which in turn causes your organs to compress. This can affect your digestion process and cause bloating, constipation and potbellies.
- Breathing difficulties – poor posture like slouching can cause your ribcage to compress, which in turn causes your lungs to compress. This can lead to more difficulties when it comes to breathing freely. Oxygen supplied to the brain will also be limited, thus affecting our brains from working their best.
- Poor blood circulation – poor posture prevents our blood from circulating freely around our body. Sitting with our knees up, crossing our legs, and even sitting on the floor with our legs arranged into pretzels, can affect our blood flow. This increases our chances of developing varicose veins.
While there are an array of brands of ergonomic chair Singapore has, we will explore our top 3 recommendations.
If you are experiencing any of the above, know that you might be a victim of poor ergonomics. Your current chair is not a good fit for you. Don’t risk your health—get an ergonomic chair that promotes good posture and health instead.
Tips To Improve Your Posture
At work, on a plane, or at home—you can benefit from good posture. Here are some tips you can start implementing right now!
- Adjust your seat height so that your feet are flat on the ground or a footrest.
- Adjust your seat height so that your eye is on the same level as the top of the screen, and at least one arm’s length away from your body.
- Keep your knees bent at a 90-degree angle, or more. So that your hips are on the same level or higher than your knees so that lumbar pressure is reduced.
- Seating with your pelvis tilted forward can also help with lumbar pressure.
- Sit so the seat pan is not pressed against the back of your knees.
- Cross your legs at the ankle, rather than the knee.
- Do not lean forward, instead, rest on the backrest of the chair. The backrest should also be angled back a bit, about 100-degrees so that your spine is not fighting against gravity and your weight is evenly distributed against the backrest.
- Ensure that the curve of your lower back is supported. If you do not have an ergonomic chair, use a pillow or cushion.
- Adjust the armrests so that your shoulders are not hunched, but relaxed comfortably when resting against it.
- Be aware of your sitting behavior. If you notice that you are slouched over the table, make a conscious effort to sit up straight.
- Do light exercise/stretching whenever you are free (at least 1 time a day)
- Stay active and fit. Do not sit for too long (take regular breaks)
- Avoid standing on one foot for long periods.
- Use ergonomic chairs at home or the office, or request for one. An ergonomic standing desk will also compliment your chair well.
- Lie down on bedding with just enough spring to support your spine, and use a pillow that properly supports your neck.
Is Your Health Is Being Negatively Affected By Bad Posture?
Have you noticed consistent, sharp pains in your back and neck? Are your work, sleep, and relationships starting to be affected?
If so, do seek professional help immediately from a physiotherapist, osteopath, or chiropractor. These are doctors and physicians who can treat spinal injuries or any other health complications that may arise from long-term poor posture.
If you have not seen side effects from poor posture yet, then there is still time for you to correct your posture on your own. Pick up the good habit of sitting with good posture so that you will never have to experience the health risks mentioned above.
What Ergonomic Chair Feature Should I Look Out For?
Ergonomic Chair Singapore Features
Shopping for an ergonomic chair is no easy task. But with our list of features to look for when shopping, you’ll be able to find the perfect chair in no time.
- Adjustable seat height – The optimal seat height should allow you to place your feet flat on the floor and keep your arms perpendicular (90 degrees) to your spine. A footstool to support their feet if the table/chair is too high to place their feet flat on the ground.
- Seat tilt – Good ergonomic chairs will allow the seat to tilt forwards, which allows for correct positioning of the pelvis. This can be complemented with an adjustable backrest for optimal comfort while sitting.
- Reclining backrest – A recline allows for users to take off pressure from their spine (reducing weight put on our spinal disks and muscles) and relax after a long hard day. Some high-end ergonomic chairs allow for a 180-degree recline which allows users to stretch freely and even use it as a makeshift bed.
- Backrest lumbar support / Lumbar support cushions – Ergonomic chairs have curves to support the lower back of their users. This prevents slouching and reduces stress on the spine. Some even have adjustable backrests that users can customize its height following the curse in their spine for optimal support.
- Moveable armrests – Some ergonomic chairs allow their armrests to rotate at different angles. Adjustable armrests support our upper limbs no matter which position we are in and help reduce tension in our upper body. However, armrests should not be used all the time as users might pick up the bad habit of shrugging their shoulders and sagging into the seat, putting most of their weight into their arms that are supported on the armrests.
- Adjustable headrest – Headrests are a “must-have” in ergonomic chairs. They support the back of the user’s head and neck which relieves strain from the neck and shoulders. Some ergonomic chairs have adjustable headrests, which is amazing for users of different body types.
Questions To Ask Yourself
- Is the seat pan big enough for you to sit comfortably? Yet, small enough that it doesn’t press uncomfortably against the back of your knees. In our list, we feature some ergonomic chair Singapore brands that allow the seat slide forward.
- Is the material comfortable and breathable?
- Can you adjust the seat height so that your feet can rest flat on the floor?
- Can you adjust the height of the backrest for a more comfortable position?
- Can you recline the backrest for a more comfortable position?
- Does the chair wheel allow you to move easily?
- Does the chair allow you to swivel easily?
- Are the armrests cushioned and easily adjustable?
- Are the moveable parts easy to use?
Is An Ergonomic Chair Worth It?
To answer simply, “Yes, an ergonomic chair is definitely worth its price.” Nothing trumps the importance of health, after all. And since a majority of us will be stuck behind a desk for most of our lives, it is definitely worth investing in a good ergonomic chair.
You can get a cheap ergonomic chair for $100 or less. A new, quality grade one for $500 or less, or spend upwards of $800-$1000 or even $2000 for the top-grade products. It may sound like a lot of money, but just know that the ergonomic chair is actually cheaper than gaming chairs and executive chairs on average.
What goes into the price of an ergonomic chair?
Ergonomic chairs are built to last. They also have tons of features that are specially designed to make sitting healthier and more comfortable. They are also made by designers who have put in years of research and testing to ensure that the ergonomic chair complies with what scientists deem “good” for sitting.
Overall, the ergonomic chair is a quality investment to make into your health. Furthermore, it’s comfortable and uniquely stylish, so it fits into any environment seamlessly. Ergonomic chair Singapore Brands such as Ergotunes while more popular, may be really expensive. On the other hand, NextChair brand (a Singaporean brand too) is much cheaper, but just as good.
What Are The Top 3 Ergonomic Chair Singapore Brands - Below $500?
At SGTopChoice, our goal is to help you find the best ergonomic office chair for your needs and budget. To this end, we have meticulously selected, reviewed, and ranked the top three ergonomic chairs in Singapore that are priced $500 and below.
These are ranked from #1 to #3 according to their quality-price ratio, but they are all still fantastic picks in their own rights! Here is our unbiased opinion on the best (and most affordable) ergonomic chairs in Singapore.
Note: None of these chairs will be priced below $100 for a reason. You cannot create quality ergonomic chairs from cheap materials. Those who claim to be top-quality ergonomic chairs, yet sell for $100 or less, are uncomfortable to sit on, made with inferior materials, or skimp on the ergonomic features. Keep in mind that we are choosing chairs that are on the cheaper end, yet retain quality expected from a high-end ergonomic chair.
#1 NextChair Luxe 2.0 for 10% off, use coupon code on their website "VP10"
Description: NextChair is Singapore’s latest ergonomic chair that is delivers a true premium ergonomic experience at a very reasonable price. In terms of quality, it is as good as Ergotunes, but at a much lower price point.
It’s mesh material in particular is one of the best in the market. It is German engineered and uses trade-secret hybrid blend of reinforced fabric and polyester to maximize comfort and durability. It’s the type of mesh to gently cradle the weight of your body, so that it feels like you are resting on a cloud. It is also cooling and soft, yet feels sturdy enough to take up to over 120KG body weight.
Cost: $499 SGD
Material: Mesh (Back & Seat)
Colors: Black, Light Grey, Dark Grey
- The most comfortable of all we have tried.
- German Engineered Mesh which is soft and durable even with long hours of sitting
- 12 total calibration points to provide maximum comfort and support for all body types
- 3D armrest (back and forth + customizable height, adjustable rotation options)
- Adjustable sliding seat (back and forth)
- Multi-functional mechanism for back rest (adjustable height, tilting, and locking at 5 gears
- Adjustable lumbar support
- Adjustable head rest (height and angle)
- Adjustable backrest tilt tension
#2 Hinomi H1 Classic
Description: Hinomi is a great option for cheap, yet high-quality ergonomic chairs. According to their website, 20% of annual sales are used for product R&D. This means your money is going back into the company itself to create even better ergonomic chairs in the future! Now that really does incentivizes customers to open up their wallets.
We’ve ranked Hinomi under NextChair Luxe because it’s missing a lot of customizable parts and ergonomic features compared to its more expensive counterpart. In addition, its mesh is more firm instead of soft. Although some customers may prefer the firmer mesh material that Hinomi provides, overall, the hybrid mesh from NextChair Luxe which is of a higher quality. It also does not have a headrest.
If you are willing to overlook the lack of customizable parts and ergonomic features, this model is a steal, considering its low price tag. Thus, Hinomi is ranked #2 on our list.
Cost: $599 SGD
- Built-in Lumbar Support
- 3D Flip-back Armrest
- Adjustable height, backrest, and seat tilt
#3 Apol Kraken
Description: Not fully an ergonomic chair, but more of a gaming chair which some ergonomic features. So why is this on our list of ergonomic chairs worth buying?
The ergonomic features provided by the Apol Kraken cannot be compared with other high-end ergonomic chairs such as NextChair Luxe shown above, but the reason why the Apol Kraken is on our list, is because its a truly quality chair with a significant focus on ergonomics compared to the other gaming chairs on the market. It is missing some features from your typical high-end ergonomic chair, but it makes up for that in terms of its heavy focus on comfort and other unique selling points.
The chair is also made from the company’s signature CloudTech® Foam which helps provide ergonomic support, comfort and increased durability. With it’s reasonable price tag, it is truly worth getting if you are willing to overlook its limitations.
To be fair, some downside is that the chair includes: It is quite heavy, bulky and does not roll smoothly. The leather (and even fabric version) can be quite warm.
Cost: $428 SGD
Material: Fabric or Leather
- 4D Adjustable Armrest
- Full-Length Backrest Recline
- Memory Foam Head + Lumbar Pillow included
- Multi-Functional Tilt Mechanism
- Class 4 Hydraulics (smoother part movements)
A lot of us tend to sit at desks for long periods in a day. If you’re anything like me, you probably don’t realize that your posture is all wrong and your joints and spine are suffering. You might not be able to feel the strain now, but you will definitely feel it in the long term.
We only get one body! And I’m here to tell you that it doesn’t have to be this way. We at SG Top Choice believe in prevention over cure, and we can never go wrong with ergonomic chairs. Be sure to check our next list of “Top 5 Recommended Ergonomic Chairs That Are Worth Your Money” and get the optimal back support that you deserve!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Newer ergonomic chairs are actually really comfortable. The reason yours might be uncomfortable, is probably because (1) it's an older model and (2) it's really cheap. Older ergonomic chairs do not have that high-tech mesh weave. Instead, their mesh weaves are hard and stiff, even though it still does its job as an ergonomic chair right.
Either that, or your ergonomic chair might be designed for "active sitting" which engages your muscles and forces you into a good posture.
Ergonomic chairs are generally cheaper than gaming chairs and executive chairs. However, the best ergonomic chairs are expensive because they are made of high-quality materials, and their design is backed by years of ergonomic research and development.