The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 delivers a more durable design, S Pen support and better multitasking, but it’s still a pricey device for power users.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 is determined to win over foldable phone skeptics. Worried about the device’s durability? The display is up to 80% tougher, and the whole phone is water resistant. Want to do more with a massive 7.6-inch screen? There’s S Pen support, plus an under-display camera to make for a more immersive display.
Other notable Galaxy Z Fold 3 upgrades include a brighter display and enhanced multitasking features, complete with a Windows-like taskbar. However, the battery life could be better, the design is still quite bulky, and Samsung should have included the S Pen.
While this foldable remains a niche device, our Galaxy Z Fold 3 review shows that Samsung has refined the best foldable phone you can buy, making it an excellent choice for power users who want a phone and tablet in one gadget.
- The under-display camera on the Galaxy Z Fold 3 impresses with its ability to disappear when you’re viewing content. However, the 4MP resolution is not great for selfies.
- The main 7.6-inch display is easier to view outdoors, as the panel gets up to 30% brighter. The cover display now has 120Hz refresh rate.
- I really like the Taskbar feature, which lets you pin your favorite apps to the side of the display and follow you to any app. It’s just like Windows. However, you have to dig in the Labs setting to turn this on.
- There’s no getting around the fact that the Galaxy Z Fold 3 is a thick phone when closed. You will definitely notice this phone-tablet combo when it’s in your pocket.
- It’s good to see that more apps have been optimized for the Galaxy Fold 3, including Spotify, Gmail, Chrome and TikTok.
- S Pen support is a great additionbut we wish Samsung didn’t charge extra for this accessory.
- The overall camera quality is very good from the Galaxy Z Fold 3, with it taking sharp and colorful images for the most part. But the iPhone 12 Pro is better.
- The Galaxy Z Fold’s 3 battery life could be better. The foldable lasted under 8 hours on our web surfing test, while other flagships last 10 hours or more.